Do you want to become a part of our One Happy Family? We are always looking for people who can support us on the ground as volunteers. There are some important points you need to have in mind, before you think about volunteering in the One Happy Family Community Center:
- Be at least 20 years old.
- Support us for at least three weeks* (please keep in mind that this period doesn’t include the 7 day self-isolation requirement for those travelling from outside of Greece).
- Be open and open-minded.
- Be flexible and bring a lot of energy with you.
- Contribute to the costs (transportation and accommodation).
- Previous experience in working with refugees a great plus.
- Being an experienced driver with an international drivers license is a great plus.
- Correct criminal record certificate (to be sent to volunteer coordination after volunteering request is confirmed).
*If this is not the first time you have volunteered in the One Happy Family community center, then it is possible to also come for a shorter time period (however the same self-isolation requirement applies).
You can find detailed information about how you can volunteer with us here. Also, do not hesitate to contact us for any further information (email@example.com). Please kindly be informed that the working language at OHF is English.
To apply, please fill in the application form on the right side. Afterwards, our volunteer coordinator will contact you and determine if we still need volunteers in the time period you selected.
Furthermore, you will arrange an appointment for a Zoom call, during which you will have the opportunity to clarify any open questions, and we will have the chance to get to know you a little better. We reserve the right to reject applications after this conversation.
After the Zoom interview and verification that your time range matches with ourneeds, we may ask you to provide a criminal record / certificate of good conduct document which states that there have been no charges against you in the past. It can be requested from the local municipal administration, police or the post office. The following links provide more information on how to obtain this document:
- Switzerland: Strafregisterauszug
- Germany: Führungszeugnis
- Austria: Strafregisterbescheinigung
- UK: Basic DBS Check
- USA: Criminal Record Check
Don’t have the time to come to Greece yourself? Support us financially and enable others to work in the field!
- We need to review and confirm your volunteer request. Please do not book any flights or accommodation before you receive a definitive confirmation from us.
- Applications can only be accepted in ENGLISH.
- Everyone at One Happy Family works voluntarily. Therefore we ask you to understand that it might take some time until you receive a reply.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you still need volunteers?
Yes! We need both short-term volunteers, and mid-, long-term volunteers especially with specific skills sets such as teaching. On the other hand, we cannot promise that we will have space in the project at the proposed time of your stay. Therefore, it is important that your application be confirmed by us before you book any flights.
How can I apply as a volunteer?
Please use the application form on this page. Please do not send volunteer requests via e-mail, Facebook or to the personal numbers of the coordinators, as this introduces additional communication channel ands delays the responsetime. By receiving your request on this page here, we will have all your information in one place, and we will contact you as soon as possible.
What kind of support do you need? What can I contribute?
We always depend on financial support to cover running costs. OHF finances itself through private donations. We can use any support and are glad if the volunteers aid us in bearing running costs. Apart from money, we often need shoes and men clothes. However, please bring only seasonally appropriate clothes with you, as we have limited storage capacity.
Is there an age restriction?
Volunteering with OHF means, that you will be in close contact with people from different cultural backgrounds, who are living in difficult circumstances. We therefore require that all volunteers be at least 20 years old. Depending onthe current situation on site, we might also increase the age-limit.
Do I need an international driver’s license?
If you are from outside EU/EFTA states like the USA or Australia for example, then you need an “International Driving Permit”. Rental agencies may let you rent a car, only checking your original license, but the police may insist that you have the international license with you. Find more information about this topic here. If you are a US citizen, please find more information on the site of the AAA here.